Today, 15th October 2021, the UK Government has announced that from Sunday, 24th October fully vaccinated travellers arriving in England can take a lateral flow antigen test on or before arrival day 2, instead of a PCR test.
These changes will come into effect from 24th October, however, the tests will be available to buy from a UK Government listed private provider on 22nd October. The day 2 lateral flow antigen tests will be available to families planning to go away for the October half-term holiday.
Project Screen by Prenetics is one of 20 private providers selling Day 2 Antigen test kits.
What do UK arrivals need to do?
From 22nd October, fully vaccinated travellers can purchase a Day 2 Lateral Flow Antigen test kit for UK arrivals from 24th October. With Project Screen, order before 2pm to receive kits the next day via DPD Next Day Delivery. We recommend purchasing this day 2 arrival test at least 24 hours before arriving in the UK. The UK Government requires all UK arrivals to add the test(s) booking reference number to their Passenger Locator Form. Booking reference numbers are sent in our order confirmation emails.
On or before arrival day 2, follow the online instructions to self-swab, process your results and upload a results photo. You’ll receive your results within 20 minutes and photo verification within 12 hours.
Do children need to test?
The rules for children depend on age and country of residence.
Children residing in the UK or in a country with an approved vaccination programme:
– If they are aged 4 and under they do not have to take any COVID-19 travel tests
– 5 to 17-year-olds must take a day 2 test on or before day 2 – arrival day is day 0.
Children aged 5 to 17 who are resident in any country that is not on the approved vaccination programme list must:
– take a COVID-19 test (if aged 11 or above) before travelling to England
– take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 in England – arrival day is day 0
– take a COVID-19 test on or after day 8 in England – arrival day is day 0
– quarantine at home or in the place they’re staying for 10 days, or for the duration of their stay if it’s less than 10 days
Children aged 4 or under from these other countries do not have to take travel tests. They must follow quarantine rules.
What if I have already bought a PCR test?
The UK Government has said that those who have already bought a PCR do not need to buy another test. The arrival test must be taken as soon as possible on or before the second day of a passenger’s arrival in the UK.
Please refer to our Refund Policy if you wish to cancel a Day 2 PCR test.
Who qualifies as an eligible fully vaccinated UK arrival?
Travellers arriving from non-red list countries can use Project Screen arrival tests. Which arrival test depends on whether travellers have been fully vaccinated in one of the UK Government’s eligible vaccination countries or not. You must be able to prove that you have been fully vaccinated (plus 14 days) with a document (digital or paper-based) from a national or state-level public health body.
You qualify as fully vaccinated if you are vaccinated either:
– under an approved vaccination programme in the UK, Europe, USA or UK vaccine programme overseas
– with a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan or the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
What do I do if I don’t qualify as fully vaccinated?
If you are fully vaccinated but do not qualify under the fully vaccinated rules above, you must follow the non-vaccinated rules. Travel from the rest of the world if you are not fully vaccinated:
From 4am Monday 4 October, you must follow these rules if you:
– do not qualify under the fully vaccinated rules
– are partially vaccinated
– are not vaccinated
Before you travel to England you must:
– take a pre-departure COVID-19 test – to be taken in the 3 days before you travel to England
– book and pay for day 2 and day 8 COVID-19 tests – to be taken after arrival in England
– complete your passenger locator form – any time in the 48 hours before you arrive in England
After you arrive in England you must:
– quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
– take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.